Cooking for friends is always a bit of a complication.
If you picked two university students at random, I am willing to place a bet that they won’t have the same eating habits. While a substantial proportion of the world’s population try to avoid gluten, there is another massive group who are vegetarian or vegan. And then there are those that are both. And then you have those who just don’t like tomatoes. I’m not complaining. I am more a criminal than a victim in this situation, as I am constantly trying to choose foods that are healthiest for me, while also being ethically and ecologically friendly, while ALSO being delicious and I’ll be honest – it is damn near impossible.
The best thing to do, when cooking for friends, is to provide a meal in parts. Burgers, shwarmas, pitas, or tacos all involve people picking and choosing whatever they would like on their plates. It’s ideal. For this particular meal I decided to provide wraps with a vegan filling comprised of things that mostly come from tins, so super easy.
I had a lot of fun with this meal and my friends seemed to enjoy it, so I would definitely recommend it if you’re unsure of what to make for a group of people.
For the vegan filling
- 2 chopped onions
- 4 chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 squirt of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Chilli flakes
- I teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tin of chopped tomato
- 1 tin of sweetcorn
- 1 tin of butterbeans
- 1 cup boiling water
- A vegetable stock cube
- Some fresh coriander (optional)
And for other options of filling:
- chopped cherry tomatoes
- chopped lettuce
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese – grated
- And of course – wraps
- In a big pot over high heat, mix together the chopped onion, garlic and olive oil until the onions start becoming slightly translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the pot and turn down the heat, mixing occasionally and letting the liquid slowly evaporate as the filling thickens.
- Put all the other filling options in little bowls.
- Warm the wraps either in the microwave or in a large pan one at a time for about a minute.
- Put the vegan filling into a bowl and, if you’d like to, break some coriander over the top.
- And that’s it! Set the table and you’re ready to rock and roll.